Thanks to everyone who completed the survey for what people are looking for as far as education here in Indy. Here is the first response to that. Based on the survey results this is what most people wanted to see.
Full day homesteading basics class. 8 full hours plus free samples to take home. As of now here is the breakdown of the class. This is for people from apartments to rural areas. I will give examples of how you can implement in just about any situation. I will bring examples, what materials I use, photos, and a CD/DVD of resources I use when I need additional information.
Class will be $40 per person or $60/couple. If bringing the family or more than 2 please contact me for other arrangements. Pay in advance or at the door. Cash only at the door. You will save the cost of the class alone if you just adopt and use a few of the topics mentioned. Due to the limitations of Meetup payments (can’t do discounts based on number of people) contact me if you want to pay in advance with cash or use electronic payment.
Register through one of the Meetup groups below although not required. There is a limited number of seats but should accommodate a larger class size but to guarantee a seat registration is recommended.
Here is what is being offered. I can add additional topics if time and my experience permits. Seats, and tables provided along with two large overhead screens for notes and examples. There will be breaks and a lunch period as well. Bring your lunch or visit one of the many local places.
- Backyard Grocery (fall is one of the best times to start this)
- Mini Orchard
- Vegetable garden
- Edible landscaping
- Backyard Chickens
- Vertical Gardening
- Container Gardening
- Medicinal Herbs
- Composting and mulch
- Water harvesting and rainbarrels
- Food Preservation (what to do with everything you harvest)
- Water bath canning
- Pressure canning
- Laundry soap – how to make – free samples 5 ingredients or less
- Tooth paste – how to make – free samples 3 ingredients or less
- Bar soap – how to make –(free samples if cured in time)
- Fire starters – how to make
- Homemade bread – very simple steps <5 ingredients. Way more healthy for family
- Homemade pasta – very simple steps <5 ingredients. Way more healthy for family
- Make your own ethanol
- Battery backup for emergency home power use
- Make your own generator from your car with an inverter